We’re Not Like You, Let’s Fight!

Mitt Romney, possibly the leading Republican presidential candidate, defending his faith as a Mormon:

I think as people look at me and my values and look at my family and myself, they’ll recognize that we have exactly the same values as the nation. … Unlike the people we’re fighting over in the Middle East, we don’t have a religious test to say who should be able to run our country. It’s over there where people say, “Unless you’re my church, you can’t run our country.” We’ll fight over that.

In other words, it’s okay to be a Mormon because “we have exactly the same values as the nation,” but it’s not okay to be “over in the Middle East” because those people have different values, which they want to force down our throats—so we will fight them to preserve “our” values, which of course are values of tolerance and peace.

Comments

Comment from Amine
Time: July 3, 2007, 17:26

Entertaining the clash… :-)
But without this clash, where could the Pax Americana focus on?
Idiots…

Time: July 3, 2007, 18:32

that reminds me of a picture I took during an anti war manifestation downtown Montréal

the guy was holding a poster saying : Bombing for peace is like fu**ing for virginity

Comment from Trenton
Time: July 3, 2007, 19:24

Sorry, no. That isn’t what Mitt is saying at all. His point is the religious test. Over in the middle east, you cannot be in government if you are of a different religion. Islam IS the government. He is making a comparison between those who live in the middle east and those over here who take a similar stand on religion–that you can’t run for President if you’re not an evangelical Christian. I’d fight over that too.

Time: July 3, 2007, 19:46

@Trenton — I understand what you think Mitt is trying to say. I’m saying there is another level to it that I find deeply disturbing. That is the chauvinistic, misinformed idea that everyone in the Middle East has the same view of religion—and that “we” are fighting “them.” The fact is, even in those states where Islam “is the government” as you say (which is not all Middle Eastern states) there are those who oppose that idea, and others who interpret it as a cultural heritage just as many Americans are proud of their Christian roots. And if you think there is no religious test to see who will run America, show me the Muslim, Hindu, Jew, Buddhist or atheist who has been president.

Comment from Trenton
Time: July 5, 2007, 15:59

Yes, there are some countries in the Middle East that have secular governments, but even they have incorporated many elements of the Islamic Sharia. Iran is one example. And yes, we have friends in Iran who want to see a more westernized society there. We are not fighting against them, but alongside them.

I am not questioning the existence of a religious test. I’m saying I believe Mitt is speaking out against the idea that many Christians have that someone who is not a protestant should not receive their vote.

Regarding seeing another level in Mitt’s words, I think you are reading too much into it. This was a simple analogy, and was not intended to be an in-depth comparison.

Comment from homeyra
Time: July 8, 2007, 14:45

With all due respect, as an Iranian I’m not happy with much of what’s going on here, NO THANKS!
We don’t want the Americans – in their present state of morality – to fight alongside us.
Both our neighbors are in pretty bad shape thanks to their “help”.
Our country will evolve, naturally, from within. We don’t need, and don’t want your “help”.
For the time being, it seems more beneficial to try to compensate all the lives that have been destroyed by the terrorizing “war on terror”.