The Price of Mint

I’ve recently started making Moroccan mint tea at home, which puts me in the mood to read and write mystical shit. The trouble is, a half pound of mint, which would cost about 25¢ in Morocco, costs anywhere from $12 to $20 here in the U.S.! (The cheaper mint, which is actually a better quality, comes from Mexico where labor costs are low.)

About the only advantage I can see to the higher price is that I don’t have to worry about the deadly spiders a friend told me about, which sometimes cling to the underside of leaves and once killed an entire family in his neighborhood. They prepared a pot of tea without noticing the spider there, and its venom killed them all within minutes….

[audio:http://www.eatbees.com/blog/audio/mystical.mp3]
“Mystical Shit” by King Missile (1990)

Comments

Comment from Yahia
Time: July 10, 2007, 09:05

Are you kidding? Spiders are just fine. You can drink a pot of tea and turn into Spider Man, but don’t tell it to anyone, cause that’s the plot for the fourth movie.

Comment from Ibn Kafka
Time: July 10, 2007, 20:01

Great urban legend!

Comment from Blog maroc
Time: July 11, 2007, 12:49

Bonjour,

Je suis entrain de remettre de l’ordre dans l’annuaire de blogs http://www.mablogoma.com pour rendre les descriptions plus explicite.

Si vous désirez que je remplace la présentation actuelle de votre blog, merci de m’envoyer un email à cette adresse mablogoma@gmail.com

Bonne continuation, et à bientôt

Time: July 11, 2007, 21:44

@Yahia, Ibn Kafka — It sounds like you guys don’t believe me! :(

My friend believed it. He watched me clean the mint to make sure I checked all the leaves.

May God protect you, but if this happens to you we will know you were careless!

Comment from Gianna
Time: July 20, 2007, 10:07

hey there,
we grow our own mint. It grows like mad, so if you want to contain it–put it in a big pot–otherwise it will take over you whole yard.

Full sun is best.

Time: July 21, 2007, 12:43

@Gianna — Thanks for the tip. Mint taking over the whole yard is just what I want! On the day I learned the price of commercial mint in the U.S., I bought a small plant for $3.00, and transferred it to a larger pot a week later. Now it has outgrown the larger pot as well, so this morning I put it in the ground. Soon I’ll have a hill of mint outside my door!

Comment from Gianna
Time: July 21, 2007, 14:41

today I crushed some of our fresh mint and added water and lemon juice with some stevia—delightful!!