Pagan / Patriot
The image is from the Persian Gulf Environmental Art Festial, apparently the brainchild of Ahmad Nadalian, an environmental artist who carves fish on river rocks, where they are slowly washed away by the current.
“There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.” Displaying the flag upside down is a symbol of distress.
Here are some comments from the page where this photo is posted.
- Now, that is patriotism…
- Dissent is patriotic!
- Now this is the kind of troop I *CAN* support.
- Even though holding the flag like that means surrender, it is a very good example of what the youth of America is feeling. Fuck this war! If our troops are realizing it’s wrong…then that should be a sign. We the people have the right to “de-patronize” our flag if we want to. That isn’t un-patriotic….it’s being an American. America was founded on rebellion. We need to pull out now. NOW.
- This is the right way to fly this flag, our country is in DISTRESS!
- A flag is a material object. […] THIS I GUARANTEE TO YOU: The U.S. flag will fade into the reaches of time and be FORGOTTEN just like all other flags. How I pity you who hold onto such things. IT IS A MATERIAL OBJECT THAT IS DEAD. […] Are you really foolish enough to believe that an inanimate object is what stores our freedom? That it has RIGHTS above that of a MAN!? A man exercising his GOD GIVEN RIGHT to dissent is freedom!!!
- If you have ever sworn to defend this country with your life, then you can say whatever you want. Free speech if something we have vowed to defend with our lives so if I don’t agree with you—it’s your right.
- All you superpatriots crying about desecrating the flag, you just don’t get it. […] People are dying, freedoms are being subverted, Bush shits on the Constitution… and you’re all bent out of shape about a picture.
- The flag is a symbol. […] It is not a living thing. It cannot be desecrated, defamed, or abused. The very society that the flag represents and symbolizes permits this action and makes that action all the more powerful.
- This picture speaks well more than 1000 words… it speaks for the tears that mothers shed, the blood that drips from young soldiers, the families and lives broken in Iraq… I applaud this man for his courage, as well as the other soldiers that hold true to their ideals and morals.
- Somebody buy this loyal and patriotic serviceman a beer.