Hillary: Three Shameful Quotes

I didn’t have to choose between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton until May 6, because my state of North Carolina was one of the last to hold a primary this year. After hesitating for a long time, because of doubts as to who would do more to transform America after the Bush years—Obama has good intentions, but that isn’t enough—I finally went with Obama, based on my respect for him after seeing how he handled the controversies that have dogged his campaign in recent weeks.

I still felt bad for Hillary because of her fighting spirit, and because I had no doubt that she would make an excellent president. However, rather than dying with dignity, her campaign has been acting ever more mean-spirited and bizarre. Hillary herself has said a number of things over the last two weeks that truly scare me, forcing me to question her thinking and reconsider the respect for her that I once had.

I have in mind three quotes in particlular. The first was in response to a question about how she would respond if Iran were to launch a nuclear attack on Israel. Rather than challenging the question as absurd, speculative, or warmongering, she said this.

I want the Iranians to know that if I’m the president, we will attack Iran. … Whatever stage of development they might be in their nuclear weapons program, in the next ten years during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them.

Next, after proposing a summer “gas tax holiday” that economists of all political stripes have criticized as useless or counterproductive, she was asked to name a single expert who supports her plan. She responded by attacking the very idea that experts have a role in shaping policy.

I’m not going to put my lot in with economists. … We’ve been, for the last seven years, seeing a tremendous amount of government power and elite opinion basically behind policies that haven’t worked well for the middle class and hard-working Americans.

Finally, while making the argument that she could do better than Obama against John McCain in November, because Obama supposedly has failed to win the confidence of white working-class voters, she said this.

Senator Obama’s support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and…whites in both states [Indiana and North Carolina] who had not completed college were supporting me. There’s a pattern emerging here.

In other words, in a desperate, last-ditch attempt to win her party’s nomination, Hillary is painting herself as more warlike towards Iran and less interested in listening to experts than even George W. Bush. On top of that, she has indulged in racial chauvinism, joining the terms “hard-working Americans” and “white Americans” in a way that makes it sound like non-white Americans don’t like to work.

There is no doubt in my mind, I voted the right way. Barack Obama has run the nobler campaign, the campaign that will bring the biggest change from the Bush years, and on top of that, the winning campaign. I’m just waiting for Hillary to leave the stage so we can move on to the national debate we need to have before starting a new era in 2009.

Comments

Comment from Wydadi
Time: May 12, 2008, 07:08

Who the hell is Hillary Clinton? Someone said Democrat? Maybe from the 3 quotes you mentioned i can answer she’s a warmonger candidate,a populist candidate or a kluxer candidate and these descriptions fit perfectly for a republican candidate and God forbid for a democrat one.That’s why i believe,Hillary could have been well-inspired if she had registered for the GOP primaries,with the program she’s standing for i’m damn sure that she would have kicked the fucking ass of John Mc Cain.

Comment from yunir
Time: May 13, 2008, 07:35

Mc Cain is already sitting in the President Office. Things have gone out of control for the Democrats and it’s a faction war there.

Time: May 13, 2008, 12:10

@yunir — Obama has won the nomination. Hillary still hasn’t given up, but little by little, people who would have supported her are turning to him instead, so that healing can begin. And the media (sadly, a huge, undemocratic “player” in American politics) are focusing now on the battle between Obama and McCain. I don’t think Americans want four more years of George Bush policies. So I’ll disagree with you here, I think Obama is already sitting in the White House. No one can see the future, but try to be optimistic!

Time: May 13, 2008, 12:12

@Wydadi — The support Hillary has gotten from elements of the right wing such as Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Newt Gingrich, Pat Buchanan and Rush Limbaugh is bizarre for me, and while some of it was motivated by hatred of McCain, and some by wanting to nominate the easier Democrat to beat in November, it turns out that some of it was sincere! Perhaps they saw, sooner than I did, the side of Hillary’s character that is revealed in these three quotes. Anyway, they won’t get their way, because the Democrats are nominating a man who has grown stronger and wiser in the past few months, and who has the most interesting cultural “profile” of any presidential candidate, ever. Can America change from its racist past (not just nationally, but internationally)? It looks like 2008 will be the test. And I thank Hillary for helping to define what I’m voting for, and against.

Comment from Wydadi
Time: May 14, 2008, 10:39

@eatbees-“So I’ll disagree with you here, I think Obama is already sitting in the White House”.I’ll be happy to share your optimism but have you put on the balance the “Diebold factor”?I’m sure you know how John Kerry was already sitting in the white house on the eve of 2004 presidential elections and how he got overtook against all odds in the last final sprint in Ohio (for the record Diebold is based in Ohio)if you add to this that the chairman and CEO of Diebold is a major Bush campaign contributor you’ll have to admit that Diebold was, democracy or no,the major voter in the 2004 presidential contest and woud be certainly in the 2008 contest.

Comment from Lydia
Time: May 16, 2008, 14:15

Yesterday my husband (who’s Moroccan) and I were out for a walk and came across a group of hillary supporters out stumping at the sports stadium downtown. Not being one to shy away from a good, heated “conversation” my husband gleefully began to goad the Hillaryites with questions like: “don’t you think words like “obliterate Iran” make her sound just like Bush? or questioning them as to why they were voting for her over Obama. The most startling person there was an african-american lady who told us she was mixed black and white and that she KNEW a black man could NEVER win the united states, that we are an utterly racist country and society and that by supporting Barack, we were essentially putting McCain in the White House. My response that people can change a society one by one, and that the Civil Rights movement serves as an example of this (and a family anecdote -too long for here, I’m already windbaging!) and I had hope in him -a statement with which one of her fellow supporters agreed- illicited the response “but you’re white! You don’t understand!” I was saddened by her attitude but hopeful for when our Oregon primaries will be over (5/20) Obama will emerge as a candidate with the majority of democrats shifting to support him against McCain because most of the other Hillaryites had NOTHING against him, they mostly just wanted a woman in the white house. My husband found their statements over rehearsed (they were) and somewhat biggotted (i.e. the white woman minority is better than the “black” man minority).
Glad I found your blog, I’ll explore more!

Comment from Bill Day
Time: May 20, 2008, 06:12

Just as sad as Hillary’s comments is the degree to which they seem to resonate with the American public. I was disappointed in West Virginia, and I think any victory is going to be hard fought and close won. Thanks again for doing your part to remind us what we (should) stand for.

Time: May 20, 2008, 17:35

@Lydia — Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome! I think Obama challenges people to reflect on their beliefs, which isn’t what we’re used to from a politician… nor does it fit with the media’s “controversy du jour” approach… but as people get to know him, I think the majority will decide that it’s refreshing to have a thoughtful president.

I agree with you that race shouldn’t matter so much in this election, and that Obama can win… though it does play into the whole “Muslim/foreign” thing they are trying to use against him… but America has to get past our fear of whatever looks different because it’s been tremendously destructive to our politics, and Obama may finally be the one to do it!

By the way, I respect him tremendously for the way he turned the latest “appeasment” controversy back on Bush and McCain, asking in so many words, “What are they afraid of?” I respect him more and more as time goes on. He is comfortable with his core values and isn’t about to get stuck in someone else’s rhetorical box.

Time: May 20, 2008, 17:47

@Bill — Hillary’s “scrappy fighter with a heart of gold” was perfect for West Virginia… but disappointed as I am too, they still have a chance to redeem themselves in the general election. More to the point, I think Obama will end up being competitive in a few states where Democrats haven’t won a national race in years, like Virginia, Colorado, or North Carolina where I live. So I’ll go along with “hard fought,” but I’m willing to bet that by November, it won’t even be all that close. This is the bellweather year I’ve been waiting for my whole adult life… think of it as a heavy rain to sweep all that bad stuff away. That said, I hope Obama spends a little time getting to know Appalachia between now and November, because if he can crack that nut, the rest will be easy.

Comment from Wydadi
Time: June 6, 2008, 10:14

For those of you guys who can’t stand the idea of Hillary as VP for all the durty tricks she’s done during her campaign here’s an adress where you can sign a petition against her candidacy for VP: