My Powerful Voice

Yesterday, President Obama told me:

“I’ll never stop fighting to make sure that the most powerful voice in Washington belongs to you.”

It’s nice to know that my voice is the one everyone else is listening to. It certainly doesn’t feel that way.

I wanted a much stronger economic stimulus back in the spring, focused on creating jobs by building a new, “green energy” infrastructure. I wanted at least some of the big banks to be taken over by the government, and thoroughly reformed before being broken up and resold to the private sector. I wanted guaranteed health care for everyone, paid for through a national system like in Britain, France or Canada. I wanted an immediate end to the use of drone aircraft in war, which invariably kills civilians. In fact, I wanted all troops withdrawn from Afghanistan and Iraq, closure of most American bases overseas, and a massive cut in our defense budget. I wanted an end to all those unconstitutional things Bush was doing in the name of national security. I wanted a criminal inquiry into torture, secret prisons, and the illegal war in Iraq. I wanted the U.S. to join the International Criminal Court, and to recognize the Goldstone Report that found Israel guilty of war crimes. I wanted a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders, with a right of return for Palestinian refugees to Israel. I wanted full diplomatic relations and open exchange with Iran, Cuba and Syria. I wanted to allow anyone, anywhere in the world who wants to move to the U.S. to be able to do so, unless she has committed a violent crime. I wanted a new era of peace and prosperity worldwide, based on economic justice and respect for human rights — and if that wasn’t possible, I at least wanted the U.S. to try really hard to make it happen, without firing a single bullet.

I know my voice isn’t being heard in Washington, and President Obama isn’t hearing it either. There’s probably good reason for that, because my voice is one of many, and not eveyone agrees. But at least spare me the fatuous talk, Mr. President, because you don’t even know me.

Comments

Comment from magician
Time: January 25, 2010, 00:04

Spoken in a roar, your words are thunder. Spoken in a whisper, your words are a prayer. Let your voice be heard!

Comment from Roba
Time: January 25, 2010, 17:21

Hey there!

Sorry for writing this here, but I couldn’t find an email address.

Every year, the toot team goes around looking for the best Arab blogs, and we are happy to tell you that yours is definitely one of the best, which is why we are adding it to toot, the Arab blog aggregator.

Since toot started in 2005 to provide the blogosphere with a place to access the best Arab blogs, in either Arabic or English. We have been hand-picking the best Arab blogs to bring together intelligent voices from and for Arabia and present them to a wider community; where passionate readers and writers can share and communicate without filtering (http://itoot.net).

That’s not all! Daily, we goes through the new posts published on our network, and we share with our readers the most interesting ideas and conversations of the day. A quick run down on what you will see on our homepage:

* “What’s tooting” features the best three-to-six posts of the day based on topic, quality, and diversity.
* “tootreads” are excerpts of the most interesting posts of the day. We do this because we, at toot, believe that excerpts make readers want to read more. Think of them as starters! The excerpt will of course lead back to your blog.
* “tootstream” is our home-grown online RSS reader. Freshly harvested posts!

Everything on toot, from the blogs themselves to the posts published, is handpicked to provide quality reading. If you are interested to be notified on when your blog posts are featured in “What’s tooting”, shoot me an email.

If you are not comfortable with the thumbnail being used for your blog, also send me an email with another one attached.

The good news is that all you have to do is enjoy the ride! You can let your visitors know that you are one of the best Arab blogs by placing an “I’m on toot” button on your sidebar or footer (http://itoot.net/on_toot). We would also appreciate a link somewhere! :)

If you have any questions or ideas, feel free to contact me. Looking forward to reading your blog daily.

Happy blogging!

Roba and the toot team
tooticator :)

roba (at) itoot.net

TootCorp projects include Ikbis, Watwet, and toot (which you’re now a part of!).

Comment from Myrtus
Time: January 25, 2010, 19:09

::::chuckles::::

I was getting ready to leave a comment and then I saw the comment by Roba from the toot team and… and….I totally lost my train of thought. ((o:

I’ll be back.

Time: January 25, 2010, 21:57

Come back Myrtus!

And to the toot team, thanks for the add! It’s always nice to be discovered out of the blue like that, by word of mouth or whatever it was. By the way, my e-mail can be found on the About page — it’s write[at]eatbees.com.

Comment from A moroccan
Time: January 26, 2010, 17:56

Your wish is granted dear eatbees,just vote for me one more time…..and dont bother with the following moral of the story:
One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.
The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn’t see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

“Hellooo Mr. Frog!” called the scorpion across the water, “Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?”

“Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?” asked the frog hesitantly.

“Because,” the scorpion replied, “If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!”

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. “What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!”

“This is true,” agreed the scorpion, “But then I wouldn’t be able to get to the other side of the river!”

“Alright then…how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?” said the frog.

“Ahh…,” crooned the scorpion, “Because you see, once you’ve taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!”

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog’s back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog’s soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog’s back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

“You fool!” croaked the frog, “Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?”

The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog’s back.

“I could not help myself. It is my nature.”

Then they both sank into the muddy waters of the swiftly flowing river

Comment from Myrtus
Time: January 29, 2010, 12:09

Never ever take politicians’ word for it, especially when they’re seeking to be elected, not just because they’ll tell you anything you want to hear in order to secure your vote, but more importantly, they themselves often don’t know exactly what they can or can’t do for you till they are actually IN office.

I don’t doubt Obama fully intended to withdraw the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, but once he got the full scoop on why it couldn’t be done, he had no choice but to break his promise.
Of course he made too many promises that turned out to be blatant lies. He’s too much talk and no action. Since he’s been elected, almost every American state is on the brink of bankruptcy, unemployment is at an all-time high and still rising and the education system is suffering severely as many schools are being forced to shut down due to the lack of funding from state subsidies. Going at this rate, the dumbing down of America is soon going to become the single-most threatening factor to cause this nation’s demise.

Time: January 30, 2010, 01:03

A moroccan — “…but at the very moment the scorpion was poised to shove his stinger into the frog’s soft flesh, the frog dived beneath the water. As they went under, the scorpion cried, ‘But you promised!’ ‘I can’t help it,’ said the frog with a grin. ‘It’s my nature.’ So the scorpion was washed away by the current, and the frog was saved. Ever since, the scorpions in the desert tell the story of their foolish cousin who went on an adventure and never returned.”