Not Drinking Soy Milk

The young man on the right is not drinking soy milk.

For those of you who aren’t versed in the latest developments in American popular culture, it seems that soy milk and other soy products cause effemininity in men, and even homosexuality, according to the Christian right. The cute blue creature holding the soy milk, Tinky Winky the Teletubby, has also been accused of turning children gay.

I tried finding a source for the Palestine photo, so I could link to it, without success. What I do know is that it is by photographer Magnus Johanssen, who has been working in Palestine for several years.

Comments

Time: January 24, 2007, 10:29

hummm très interessant :)
j’ai toujours pensé que les teletubies pourraient rendre les enfants abruties mais homosexuels ça j’y avais jamais pensé :)

Quand au soy milk, je pense bien qu’en amérique du nord le lobby des producteurs de lait est assez puissant, on serait tenté de savoir quelles sont les recherches sur lesquelles l’auteur de cet article se base, il n’en cite aucune (alors est-ce qu’elles existent vraiment) et puis qui les finance

Personnellement je n’aime ni le lait de vache ni le lait de soya, j’essaye d’en boire plus par obligation qu’autre chose, mais je n’ai jamais lus un article aussi farfelus et dénué de crédibilité

Time: January 24, 2007, 10:31

en passant je n’ai pas très bien compris le lien avec l’enfant palestinien.

est-ce que le soy milk pourrait être une nouvelle arme pour éffeminer les palestiens pour qu’ils arrêtent de se battre comme des hommes ??????

j’ai pas trop saisie :)

Time: January 24, 2007, 11:33

@Kenza — For the idea that soy milk makes you gay, I would say you have it exactly right. (“I’ve never seen an article as bizarre and lacking in credibility.”) This concept comes to us from the same people who try to scare us into believing that if the Democrats take power, they will ban the Bible or surrender America to bin Laden. Those claims have been made too!

As far as what is the connection to the young Palestinian, honestly there isn’t one. I had the two images, I was thinking about the two things, and the contrast amused me. That’s about it. My point is that he shouldn’t drink soy milk if he wants to fight, but I only meant it as a joke. Mainly I just liked the picture! :)

Time: January 24, 2007, 11:57

I am for banning teletubies by the way :) I think they are dangerous and can badly damage the brain of your child.
it will definitly turn him or her into and adult still saying he-ho instead of hello and other stupide things like that, and always staying with easy thing to do or to say instead of trying for more complexe or difficult things (some studies had proven that yes yes) :)

that was a joke of course :)

Comment from Rhea
Time: January 24, 2007, 15:28

And not only that, Kenza. Teletubbies cause children to inexplicably repeat everything they say 10 to 20 times each half-hour.

Comment from Nadia la BlogTrotteuse
Time: January 25, 2007, 08:10

Very interesting talk about Teletubbies. I know that kids love them but I never thought of consequences they could have on their brains’ development.
But I think that they are for kids before a certain age. for example one year old children are very captive to that show and I don’t think that a one year baby needs to perform his talk or vocabulary. Teletubbies have exactly the most adequate language to low age babies.
I am wondering if the studies you talked about aren’t in reality an arm to harm success that teletubbies know!
But I’m against that show for kids over a certain age, as I’m for pokémon banning and also all the two cents fighting and violence cartoons.

Time: January 25, 2007, 09:37

Nadia that was a joke, I ve never read any studies about teletubies
I just watched them once and found it very stupide but funny at the same time

my remarke was sarcastic as a response for the allegations that tinky winky can make kids turn homosexual as stated in the post :)

Comment from Magda
Time: January 25, 2007, 09:45

Oh, but thanks God, we have a solution: Teletubbies – OUT, soy products – OUT, and we can have back our healthy society, with men filled with testosterone, “unfeminized, without a common soy-danger to a decrease in the size of the penis, (HORROR!!) and free from sexual confusion and homosexuality.”
Thanks eatbees, I had a really good laugh!

Rhea and Nadia – it’s just my personal opinion, so you are welcome to ignore it: if you are worried about child’s development, how about banning TV in general: Teletubbies, Barney, and all the rest?

Time: January 25, 2007, 13:50

Personally, I know nothing about Teletubbies except this silly idea that they are gay (actually just the purple one, Tinky Winky). Some people say that SpongeBob SquarePants is gay, too. Obviously people who “see” this sort of thing are projecting their insecurities outward, and it gives the rest of us a good laugh!

If we’re looking for a solution, I agree with Magda, throw your TV out. We didn’t have a TV in the home until I was about 10, so I got used to reading. After that I was corrupted and spent hours in front of the TV each night, until I was 17 and moved away and realized I could live without one. Without a TV you go for walks and have real conversations! If I have kids they will have to visit their friends if they want a TV.

Of course I’ve missed out on things like Loft Story that I only hear about from what other people say!

Comment from Yahia
Time: January 28, 2007, 17:31

Lol
I just kind of analyzed the pictures together and thought of this:
1) The teletubby buddy is nice